I take so much inspiration from (nearly) every book I have read, and Brown’s The Gifts of Imperfection is no different (see my review here). Here are my 16 most inspiring quotes from Brené Brown, which also serve as great journaling prompts!
- “The universe is not short on wake-up calls. We’re just quick to hit the snooze button.”
- “Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it.”
- “Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.”
- “…Courage has a ripple effect. Every time we choose courage, we make everyone around us a little better and the world a little braver.”
- “Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.”
- “Connection is the energy that exists between people when they feel seen, heard, and valued; when they can give and receive without judgment; and when they derive sustenance and strength from the relationship.”
- “Until we can receive with an open heart, we are never really giving with an open heart.”
- “When we can let go of what other people think and own our story, we gain access to our worthiness.”
“When we can let go of what other people think and own our story, we gain access to our worthiness.”– Brené Brown (The Gifts of Imperfection)Tweet
- “If we really want to live a joyful, connected, and meaningful life, we must talk about things that get in the way.”
- “When we lose our tolerance for discomfort, we lose our joy.”
- “Other times we’re so afraid of the dark that we don’t dare let ourselves enjoy the light.”
- “The dark does not destroy the light; it defines it. It’s our fear of the dark that casts our joy into the shadows.”
- “We need both faith and reason to make meaning in an uncertain world.”
- “If developing and sharing our gifts is how we honor spirit and connect with God, self-doubt is letting our fear undermine our faith.”
- “When we value being cool and in control over granting ourselves the freedom to unleash the passionate, goofy, heartfelt, and soulful expressions of who we are, we betray ourselves. When we consistently betray ourselves, we can expect to do the same to the people we love.”
- “In this world, choosing authenticity and worthiness is an absolute act of resistance.”
Which quote(s) do you find most inspiring or thought-provoking? Share your own inspiring quote below!
Are you striving to improve every day, too? Then stay in the loop!